Loft conversions: The ABC of Building Regulations

The ABC of Building Regulations 11/24/2011

The ABC Of Building Regulations by Lloyd Taylor of Ash Island Lofts

Building regulations are broken down into sub categories as follows:

Part A – structural safety
Part B – fire safety
Part C – site preparation
Part D – toxic substances
Part E – sound insulation
Part F – ventilation
Part G – hygiene
Part H – drainage and waste disposal
Part J – combustion appliances
Part K – protection from falling and impact
Part L – energy efficiency
Part M – access to and use of land
Part N – glazing
Part P – electrical safety

Building – When You Need To Comply:

We’ve all heard the horror stories, load-bearing walls supported by two by fours and rewiring with sticky tape, but it’s a whole lot easier than you think to break building regulations, however good your DIY skills are. All building work has to comply with some sort of regulation (part of the Building Act 1984) and there are 13 areas in all to watch out for from energy efficiency (Part L) to electrics (Part P). Here’s a run down of what you need to know, what’s best left to the pros and what you can (safely) try at home.


There are two types of building regulation:

Building notice is required for minor work such as relocating a bathroom. This will tell the building inspector what you’re planning and they’ll visit the site to ensure you are meeting regulations.

Major work such as a large extension is covered by a full plans application. Detailed plans must be submitted before work starts and will cover everything including site and fire safety. Once applications have been submitted, the local building inspector will make regular visits to check all is OK, they may also send a structural engineer along if you’re working with load bearing walls.

Do I Need Building Regulations?


Installation of a new boiler..
Converting the loft to be used as a room that has windows, a permanent stairway and electricity..
If you’re making structural changes such as removal, or part removal of load bearing walls. .
If you have to remove and rebuild a major part of a wall..
If you’re re-roofing and using a different material(heavier or lighter)..
Replacing windows or external doors..
Having cavity wall insulation..


You’re building a detached single storey building which does not exceed 30 sq metres that contains no sleeping accommodation..
You’re building a shed or detached single-storey building less than 15 sq metres which has no sleeping accommodation..
Extending a building by adding, a conservatory, porch, covered yard or carport that’s open on at least two sides..
If you’re carrying out minor repairs that don’t involve structural alterations or changes in room layouts and you’re replacing like with like..
If you are only using the loft for storage you can convert without seeking regulations..

For more information contact your Local Council or Ash Island Lofts, who will take care of this for you…



Go to top ›